Friday, March 4, 2011

anger


Something that happened today reminded me of this short story 

that I had read some time back.Let me share it with you.Those were 

the days when Alexander the great was invading India.The Indian 

rulers ,one after the other, were being defeated and their provinces 

annexed to his empire.One day as Alexander was passing through a 

forest he saw a mendicant sitting under a tree,deep in 

meditation.On being approched the saint,looked at Alexander and 

smiled.Alexander who was used to being received with obeisance 

was offended at the saint’s calm posture.He ordered the saint to 

bow before him as he was the great emperor who had conquered 

the kingdom ,of which that forest and the hut that belonged to the 

saint was also a part.


On hearing the angry words of Alexander, the saint still smiling 

replied “How can I bow to the slave of my slave.”Not 

understanding what the saint meant ,Alexander ordered him to 

explain what he meant by calling him the slave of his slave.The 

saint explained thus”I control anger.Hence it is my slave.Anger 

controls you my son.Hence you are its slave.So are you not the 

slave of my slave”.


Realising his mistake the great Alexander bowed before the 

mendicant and returned a wiser man.


Moral:Anger if uncontrolled controls you

No comments:

Post a Comment